Thursday 13 May 2010

Dancing "fixed my brain inside"

This isn't about Team Awesome and it isn't about ballroom dancing but I was left awestruck by a recent BBC3 documentary about Jimmy Hobley, a 10-year-old disco dancer from Redcar in the north east. The film followed Jimmy and his family as he competed in national competitions and he just sparkled with natural talent and a love for dancing. Oh, and he also has autism, as do his two brothers.
Two years ago, Jimmy could not read or write, and found eye contact with others difficult. After developing a passion for dance, his reading and writing skills improved dramatically, and he also began to interact more.
His mother Sheila believes that dancing has been the key to transform her son because it required him to improve his concentration in order to master the routines.
"I think since he started dancing there's been a massive improvement. It's like someone switched the light on," she says.
"Before the dancing, I was a nobody," says Jimmy. "I was a regular school kid with special needs. Dancing makes me feel like I'm normal… like all the other kids… it's like somebody's fixed my brain inside."
But Jimmy's success has also has repercussions in his family - his twin George and older brother Alex look on as Jimmy shines in his new-found passion.
The film sees Jimmy visit a ballet school and ends with the World Disco Championships in Blackpool Tower.
For more, see links below.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8660356.stm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcthree/2010/05/autism-disco-me-how-dancing-saved-my-son.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWHQa_zXEx0
On a slightly bizarre note, the documentary is narrated by Craig Kelly, the infamous celeb dancer on Strictly 2009, who was finally ditched by the public at, yes, Blackpool Tower Ballroom.

No comments: